Velcro curtains are a modern method of fixing with Velcro tape, which consists of two parts: a stiff “father” and a soft “mother”. Velcro curtains can be fastened to the window frame without an additional bar and without drilling the window with screws.
Velcro curtains are suitable for creating a concise design. The popularity of the method of attachment to velcro is due to the combination of the classic look of the canvas and convenient operation without the use of a cornice.
Curtains with Velcro have a number of advantages:
- serve for a long time, the velcro does not lose its qualities after washing;
- easy installation, the frame without eaves is used;
- take up little space, use minimal space;
- convenient to remove, wash and fasten with velcro;
- there is a wide choice among models (the Roman, Austrian, rolled, curtains with loops);
- dry quickly and iron.
How to attach a curtain on the window?
You can attach the velcro curtains directly to the window frame, to the wall or to the rail, but the essence of the attachment remains the same; hooks and rings are also not used.
Installation on a plastic window
Velcro fastening on a plastic window does not violate the integrity of the window. Velcro is glued around the perimeter of the window, or just on top and on the sides.
On the wall
When mounted on the wall, the hard part of the velcro is fixed with screws or glue, and the soft part is sewn to the wrong side of the curtains.
On the wooden plank
On a wooden rail adhesive tape is attached when using glue or stapler. The rail itself is fastened with screws to the wall.
Velcro curtains are most often short, in the market they are most often presented in a modern form.
Curtains with light folds and opening mechanism suitable for any interior and room. If each window has a different curtain length, the room will look unusual.
Curtains look like fixed panels, suitable not only for oriental style. Due to the tension and weighting from the bottom, the canvas retains its shape and will not move from the wind.
Most often used to emphasize minimalism. Suitable for balcony, loggia. They are better attached to the window under each leaf separately.
Velcro hinged curtains are similar to ordinary curtains, mounted on a cornice, but in order to remove them you do not need to remove the cornice, it is enough to disconnect the Velcro.
The choice of material and color
The fabric should not be heavy, this is the main condition. Therefore, suitable light natural or synthetic material.
For a balcony it is best to use a blended fabric with polyester, organza, because it does not fade in the sun and dries quickly.
From natural fabrics suitable flax, cotton, jacquard, satin and bamboo, which are impregnated with a special stain-repellent blend.
When choosing the color of the fabric is important to observe the unity of style. They can be neutral beige, white, pastel color, or bright color, with inserts or a pattern. Different windows in the same room can be arranged in different colors. They can be combined with wallpaper, repeat his drawing, or be monophonic.
Photos in the interior
Velcro curtains can be translucent or thick, depending on the fabric chosen. They darken the room better because there is no free space between the curtain and the window.
Balcony or Loggia
Velcro curtains are often used to hang windows on balconies and balconies. This is a convenient and economical way to hide the room from the sun's rays and views from the street due to the rational use of the material. The velcro curtain is a convenient option for decorating the door to the balcony, as there is no eaves and hanging canvas above it, the curtain does not touch the exit and the passage remains free.
For the kitchen, velcro curtains are suitable if the window is located above a sink or stove, and also if the window sill is actively used as a shelf or an additional workplace.
In the nursery fit curtains with velcro made of thick fabric, this will ensure a good daytime sleep for the child.
In the living room, ordinary curtains or tulle can be supplemented with curtains that are attached to the window frame with velcro. Japanese velcro curtains will look good in a small living room.
For the bedroom fit translucent Roman velcro curtains or thick jacquard pattern. The uniqueness of such curtains is that they are suitable for any style of the bedroom.
How to sew velcro curtains
Fabric consumption is individual, depending on the size of the window and the selected fabric.
Materials and tools:
- the cloth,
- sticky tape
- sewing machine,
- Make window measurements. On a four-leaved window 265 cm wide, 4 curtains should be made, each 66 cm wide (264/4), where 1 cm of the total width of the window was taken. The height is measured with an allowance for Velcro 2.5 cm above and below. We add 5 cm to the height of the window 160 cm.
- For each curtain you need to sew 4 ties of the same or another fabric. On one strap you need to take a cut of 10 cm wide and a curtain height of + 5 cm. The bottom stitch is stitched.
- Then fold the string in half and sew along the length from the inside.
- Unscrew, bend the allowances on the long side and stitch. Iron all straps. Also ties can be made of lace or bobbin tape.
- Cut out the curtains in size, taking into account the side allowances of 2 cm on each side and the bottom allowance of +1 cm. Bend the sides of the curtains, then the bottom of the curtains with a soft piece of velcro so that it is on the wrong side.
- To the top of the curtains from the front side, departing from the top of 1 cm, pin a soft velcro. From the edge of the curtains on both sides measure 7 cm and under the velcro bottom put one by one string. Stitch.
- Bend the Velcro on the wrong side and stitch, putting on 1 st. The curtain is ready.
- Degrease with a means (alcohol, nail polish remover) the place on the frame where the hard part of the adhesive tape will be glued. For convenience, you can cut the adhesive tape into pieces and glue them end-to-end.
- To fix the bottom of the curtain, it is enough to use a hard velcro at the edges.
With the help of ties, you can lower and raise the curtains, you can also make a pocket for the slats at the bottom, then the Austrian curtains will turn into Japanese ones.
When attaching velcro curtains to the frame, they will protect the house from insects and will not come unstuck from the wind due to the lower velcro fastening. Such curtains are easy to remove and wash, they have an aesthetic look inside and out.
Hinged curtains with stickers
For the convenience of removing curtains from the eaves, you can sew Velcro to the loops.
Materials and tools:
- sewing machine,
- the cloth.
- The width of the curtain is calculated by the formula: from the distance from the eaves to the desired length, subtract the length of the loops, then add 1 cm to the processing of the top and 6 cm to the processing of the bottom.
- Calculation for loops. The loop width (any) is multiplied by 2 and add 2 cm to the allowance to the resulting number. The length of the loop * 2 cm + 4 cm for allowances.
- The number of loops is calculated as follows: the width of the curtain is divided by the width of one loop. On the curtain, the loops are arranged as follows: multiply the number of loops by their width from the width of the finished curtain, and divide the resulting number by the number of loops between loops. For example, 75-5 * 5 = 50. 50/4 = 12.5, it means that every 12.5 cm it will be necessary to pin a loop with a seam upwards.
- Process the side seams of the curtains. Mark the seam allowance, iron the fold and sew from the seamy side.
- Cooking loops. Roll the fabric of the desired width and length with the face facing inwards and sew along the length of 1 cm from the edge. Scrub the loop with the cardboard inside so that the seam does not lie. Remove the product, placing the seam in the center and also steam the seam with the cardboard inside.
- Stitch pinned loops.
- Prepare a facing length of the width of the curtain and a width of 5 cm. Steam it.
- Attach to the top of the curtains on the front side, covering it hinges. Attach with pins and stitch, leave 1 cm free edge at the top.
- Scrub off the seam and free edge, then tuck in the side edge and attach with pins.
Apply a hard velcro width equal to the width of the loop under each loop and stitch from the inside out with one line.
- The edge of the facing should be folded and stitched, making indent from the edge of 1 mm.
- Apply the soft part of the velcro to the free edge of the tie on the front side, equal to the width of the loop and the height of the rigid part of the velcro. Stitch.
- Stitch velcro from all sides.
- To process the bottom of the curtains. Smoothed seam allowance. Velcro curtains with hinges ready and it can be hung on the window.
These workshops will help create unique curtains for the kitchen interior, balcony, loggia. Velcro curtains are convenient to use, so you should consider this option window decor.